October 3, 2014

Remembering WWII // Music, Veterans & Canteens

Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Hello again! I am here to share part two of the Remembering WWII photo-overload with you all ;) This time the photos capture some of the veterans & performers at the event, which really made the whole thing so special. The veteran's stories were SO incredibly powerful, and left many of us breathless and in complete wonder of how those heroes pulled through. God's providence in their adventures in the war was so evident through the whole thing. Also, it was fabulous to see many other talented performers get up on the stage and sing the popular tunes from WWII. You can't imagine how refreshing it was for us girls to see other young folks just as eager to remember and share the songs of the past to the present generations! This was truly an event of living history, folks!

Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
WWII VETERAN, EDGAR HARREL, TELLING HIS STORY

Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
A TRIO OF CLASSY ANDREWS SISTERS WITH EQUALLY CLASSY REENACTORS

Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Probably one of the most memorable parts of our day was the privilege of singing with The Merchants of Cool Big Band. Oh. My. It was SUCH a blast hearing those live instruments behind us as we sang one of the Andrews Sister's most well-known tunes: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy! It was a bit of a challenge preparing for this performance, on both the side of our group and the band. The Merchants of Cool are based down in Tennessee, and we live in Ohio, so the needed rehearsals didn't really happen... :) It was mainly email communication, sending recordings back and forth in attempts to make this thing work, and it did! We even have a video to show for it :D


Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
SWEET ESTHER C. REENACTING VERA LYNN

Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
Remembering WWII // Music & Vets
ABOVE TWO PHOTOS c/o CHARLES VERNIER PHOTOGRAPHY

Just a note before I go: one of you commented about the event, specifically the battle reenactment that I posted yesterday, that we were "playing at war". I would like to clarify that this event was not "fun" or "light-hearted". The soul purpose of this time was to share the past to remember and learn for future generations. Reenacting a battle, hearing stories from the men that experienced the real thing, and sharing tidbits of history through music and song was all a part of us not taking the events of the past for granted. This is probably one of the most dangerous things of our sin-nature: we so quickly forget the gravity and importance of landmarks in our history and heritage, and forget to recall God's providence in our lives. As Christians, we must strive take every thought captive and remember our heritage and history; and this reenactment was a part of that.

For those of you who might have missed our past posts on Remembering WWII, you can view them here: The Fellowship, The Outfits, The Battle Reenactment

xoxo,
-Charlotte

CREDITS // Author: Charlotte Boyer; Photography: Charlotte Boyer & Charles Vernier; Some photos edited with VSCO Film Presets

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the photos of you and the other singers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damaris10/04/2014

    Dear Charlotte,
    sorry, it wasn't my intention to offend anybody by using the word "play". I am absolutely sure that none of you considered the reenactment to be a fun or light-hearted event. I just wanted to point out that being so ashamed about your own country's history makes you look at things from a completely different perspective.
    Love,
    Damaris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Damaris,

      Thank you for your comment! I completely understand your perspective, and greatly appreciate you sharing it! We weren't in any way offended by your comment, just wanted to clarify to you and any others who might have been confused about the purpose of the event :)

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. All the photos are wonderful! Thank you, Charlotte, Brigid, and Jessica, for sharing all these posts with us. I am enjoying this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did do well on the song! In fact, I think I like some of your renditions of the songs better than the originals...
    ... wish I could buy the CD, but I think I'll have to squeeze it into my birthday / Christmas wishes in December. :P
    I've never been to an event like this, but I know what you mean about remembering it. On the European side, it's particularly poignant, with people like Nicholas Winton - look him up, his WW2 story is amazing. I've been to a talk with one of the children he saved, who now works as a missionary; there is a lot of "paying forward" going on with that story, and that I think is the main reason why it's so important to remember and remind.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!