
Hello dearies! Before we (Jessica and I) get started, I want you all to do something for me. Pull up Spotify, or if you don't have that, pull up iTunes or Amazon. Search for "The Big Debut" by the Boyer Family Singers. Press play, purchase, or whatever it requires for you to be able to hear the music. Now. Now, you can start reading this post, and as you look at the few photos that we have of the Remembering WWII U.S.O show (courtesy of the amazing Charles Vernier), imagine yourself there, listening to the music, and enjoying the beautiful, fading memories of an amazing day. Alright, you all set? Let's get started.
After a day like none other, it was so pleasant to relax, sit down and enjoy some lovely conversation, before going on stage.

PHOTOGRAPHY c/o CHARLES VERNIER PHOTOGRAPHY
By the time dinner was nearly laid out on the food tables, I, Jessica, was beyond tired. I had lost a lot of energy in just the short time it took us to get ready for the big night, and so it was with great relief that I took a seat with Mom and the girls at one of the dinner tables to rest for a couple of minutes. Despite my desire to have a few minutes to myself, it wasn't long before Olivia Howard, her sister Emma, and her friend Clare joined us. I perked up as best I could, and the girls really helped me with conversation, but it wasn't until I had a full plate of spaghetti and salad that I was back in business and chatting with the rest of them. Oh glorious food! I couldn't believe how much food there was that night! In fact there was so much yummy spaghetti and salad left over from the U.S.O. Show that we had it for lunch the very next day after Church service! This is all thanks to the excellent cook, Heidi Botkin, Isaac Botkin's bride, along with her sisters-in-law Anna Sophia and Elizabeth, as well as other dear ladies who helped with the large task of preparing such a lovely dinner. Thank you for all of your hard work Ladies! It was delicious!
We also had the privilege of talking not only to Olivia and her sister and friend, but also Kathryn, Lily, and Gretel. Oh, such lovely conversation. Such for which we've been starved for a long time now. We made such dear friends that day. I hope we'll be able to meet again, and that our friendships will only grow.
We weren't the only entertainment for the night! Oh-ho, no! One of the gentleman from the community down in Tennessee stood up and did a whole Churchill speech. His performance was spot on! You could close your eyes, and imagine that you were there, listening to Churchill at the beginning of the war, your mind filled with all of the uncertainty as to the outcome of the next few years. And yet, your fears were calmed by the confident assurance of victory, in whatever form God gave it, that was in Churchill's voice.
And oh, what a lovely end to the evening, when we had finally walked off the stage, and the young people of the C. and V. families got up on stage and sang a song that fully encompassed the feelings of that moment: "We'll Meet Again". As my sisters and I linked arms, swaying and singing along, tears welled up in my eyes, as I realized the glorious day for which we all had been waiting months for, was finally over. The day was more glorious, blessed and encouraging then I could have imagined, and so the idea of parting was even harder than I anticipated, even though we still had the next day to enjoy before we would leave and return to our home, sweet home.
I'll post the words of "We'll Meet Again" here for you, so you can get a sense of the feeling of sadness that we felt at the fact that we would be parting from such dear people, and yet joy, that we shall meet again someday.
"We'll meet again,
don't know where,
don't know when,
but we'll meet again
some sunny day!
Keep smiling through
just like you
always do!
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away!
So will you please say hello,
to the folks that I know,
tell them I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know
that as you saw me go
I was singing this song:
We'll meet again,
don't know where,
don't know when,
but we'll meet again
some sunny day!"
(We'll Meet Again, sung by Vera Lynn)
And with that dearies, we shall leave you. Until we meet again, whether face to face or otherwise, may the Lord be with you, and bless you in all that you do.
Any questions about the event?
Have you ever heard a Churchill speech?
Have you ever heard of the song "We'll Meet Again"?
Blessings in Him,
Brigid & Jessica B.
CREDITS // Author: Jessica & Brigid Boyer; Photography c/o Charles Vernier
Oh, so much fun! The CD is absolutely lovely, girls! I was so excited to see Bei Mir Bist Du Schon because it's a favorite of mine but it seems that it's so often over-looked :( How exciting for y'all. Hopefully next year I'll be able to attend!
ReplyDeleteI've loved hearing about it so much girls! I'm sure you had a lovely time, and what a perfect ending :). God bless you!!
ReplyDelete~Theresa
I have heard of Vera Lynn, but I have never heard of the song "We'll Meet Again". I'll have to look it up! What a wonderful event, and the photos are spectacular! I only wish that there were more of them. :)
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that an event like this was held, and that you ladies were able to participate!
Wonderful pictures of you three girls! It sounds like you had a ton of fun. I'd love to have gone and seen y'all :)
ReplyDeletedance a real
Hey, I wonder if you three would consider making a video about the recording process for your CD?
ReplyDeletedance a real
Love, love, love these photos of you girls! So wish I could have been there. Sounds so enjoyable. The whole stage setup look fab.
ReplyDeleteReliving the evening in pictures in wonderful, since we were not able to be there in person!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it was a splendid evening never to be forgotten!
It looks like a lovely evening and I love the pictures!
ReplyDeleteYour show was one of the best parts of the day in my opinion. So much fun! :-)
ReplyDeleteThat photo of you girls is stunning!
ReplyDelete