
Hey y'all! Wow! What did I just say? Y'all? Really? Yep, really. That is what you get for staying three days down in Linden Tennessee–the pretty contagious way of speaking about the third person plural. Haha! Oh dear! Well, it was such a crazy whirlwind of hours of fellowship, meeting person after wonderful person, and singing–can't forget the singing part–that I am not sure we three will be able to do justice to this week's account of Remembering WWII. But many things must be said. Okay, no going back now... Let's begin with the time our family spent in fellowship with everyone who gathered for this momentous occasion.

One of the most exciting aspects of traveling down to Tennessee for Remembering WWII was the prospect of meeting a good handful of our blogger/blogging friends! Do you recognize these ladies? (Ladies to whom these gorgeous faces belong. I don't mean you! Haha!) From left to right, allow me to introduce: Gretel, Lily (from Mode de Lis) and Kathryn (from Kathryn Grace Photography)! I am still jumping up and down in hysteria and disbelief that we had the blessing bestowed on our three families to meet up at the great event! Ahhh!
Our time together was too short, however, each moment was filled in sweet camaraderie, laughter, and accounts of what our own lives are like on a daily basis. We remember sharing thoughts on sewing projects, what kind of funny pets we own; but it seemed like we were asked many, many questions regarding our singing! I am so sorry ladies if we bored you with our chatter, but you did ask, and to those who ask, you better believe you will receive! Especially when you have three sisters vying for the chance to talk! Haha!

These three ladies and Lily & Gretel's parents delighted us with their beautiful ensembles, which were of course, period correct for the occasion; but little did we know that they would outdo us on Sunday when they came walking in on the scene in their darling 50's dresses! Brigi thanks you though for making her feel so comfortable in her own Sunday's 50's garb. :) Thank you so much ladies for sharing your sweet selves with us! We couldn't have been more thrilled to get to know you and hug you in person! So special. :)

I cant remember if it was directly after or before we bumped into Kathryn, Gretel & Lily that we happened upon another blogger friend! We all were in such a buzz that day that your name escapes us dear, but would I be correct in calling you Hannah?
It was such a pleasure to meet this lovely gal, and to once again speak with a friend whom we have only known through the internet! Wow! It just blows my mind that the Lord allowed so many of these girls to come and meet us on the streets of Linden Tennessee! Glory be to Him!

Yay! Rebekah! One of the most beautiful families we met down there was the Dubois family. Rebekah is the middle sister of two others whose names are Valery and Judith (oldest to youngest). These three are blessed with a mother who diligently sewed them beautiful 1940's costumes by simply looking at a picture and copying it by eye! Can you believe that? It was a joy to be around these wonderful girls, and to watch them serve and help out wherever they were needed. I especially enjoyed my few moments of sitting next to young Judith Dubois while we listened to one of the speakers talk about why it was America became entangled in the War. What an amazing time.

Oh ho! I can't look at this picture of our wonderful Natasha Vernier without laughing! This is Natasha in a nutshell! Spunky, dangerously sarcastic, witty beyond words, and the most fun person I think I could ever know. Natasha, you are the best, girl!
For those of you who were not there, the scene is now our time of fellowship and rest on Sunday afternoon. We have all slept well–or not so well–and were trying to use up every ounce of expiring energy we had in making our time worth while. We spent every hour of Sunday sharing everything we could with our new beloved friends. Through it all I could see the Lord answering one of my greatest desires–to have deep rooted conversations with these sweet young ladies. I could not have asked for more, for the time the Lord allotted was filled with sweet unity of likeminded young ladies, laughter like I have not heard in a long time, and joy bubbling up out of each face I saw.
The fifth Psalm comes to mind when I think of the joy I felt, and truly this is the best way to describe it: "You have made me glad, more than in the season that their grain and wine increase." This is a gladness and joy that comes from girls who have not had such fellowship in many years. I feel like this is almost an answer to my questions I posted two COS's ago, when I spoke of my struggles to have good, wholesome conversations with the young ladies in our community. The answer is what a few of you wisely pointed out–the girls I am around do not have the confidence in the Lord that they ought to have. Without this confidence, we can become shy, distrustful, dissatisfied with ourselves (the way we are, or look), and ultimately this makes a young lady scared to share herself and open up.
Press pause. Take a look at those vintage cars!





We had a roaring good time in the 1940's(?) Buick/Gangster car, and Mr. Courter (the man behind Remembering WWII's vision) took just the three of us on a joy ride in their 1929 roadster–the first car above! Oh what a blast! Mom almost lost it when she saw us take off. ;)

Press play again. The gals we hung around in Tennessee have instilled in them a great sense of worth and value that only comes from the Lord. We could talk about anything and everything and it didn't matter who was better or worse. We are in this fight together and we knew it. We are the next generation to rise up and follow the Lord, and I am confident that we have the foundation on which to build for the coming generations.
The Lord blesses the righteous and faithful. He encompasses those who are struggling to know Him better and He reveals His character to us day by day. Look for it my sisters in Christ. Look hard and do not doubt your own worth. Yes, we must not be like the Pharisee, proud and haughty and too good for the lost, but we also must not be so week as to let the flip side of the coin of pride deter us from letting loose and enjoying each other's company for what they are worth! We are all different! We will never be exactly like the other person. Grasp that and be confident in your own talents! These young ladies are, and that is why they have such peace and joy. Do not let your peers tear you up because of what they can do, but have joy for them! This is what brings us together. Learn to love this, and you will gain the Kingdom of God and the saints therein.


Natasha, again, in a nutshell ;)


I will leave you with a silly shot, and the names of all the lovelies in this photo that I can remember–
Top from left to right: Valery Dubois, Jessica Courter, Rebekah Dubois, Rebekah & Esther Courter, Natasha Vernier, Brigid, Two lovely friends of our blogger friend Rachel Parker.
Bottom from left to right: Alyssa and Tirzah Wilson, Ellen Vernier, Charlotte & me, and Rachel Parker.
Are you excited to hear more about our time down in Linden?
Do you have a question on something I did or did not mention here?
What is you favorite picture?
Much love and happiness to you all!
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
CREDITS // Author: Jessica Boyer; Photography: Various; All photos edited with VSCO Film Presets
Aw! Sounds like you had a lovely time. I absolutely can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeletedance a real
We are so glad y'all (you're true tennesseans now :D) had a smashing time here in Tennessee and got to meet our friends! It looks like you all had a jolly time of fellowship on Sunday! :) After seeing these photos . . . I realize to my utter dismay that we didn't get photos with y'all!!!!!!!! :( SHUCKS! Well, we will just have to make a trip to Ohio soon, or better yet, y'all come back to TN! :D
ReplyDeleteThe Courter's cars are amazing to be sure! Though to my sorrow I have never riden in the roadster. . .I have had the squealing delight of riding in Jess's darling 30's truck!
The last picture is definitely my favorite! Totally expresses everyone's personalities! ;)
Love you ladies! It was such fun getting to meet you, though I wish we could've spent more time together! Definitely looking forward to our next meeting! <3 <3 <3
Cheerio for now!
Abby
No!!! That is a crime! No photos with you girls at all!!! *palm smack* Oh dear, we do need to see you all again, and soon! That brief moment when you all introduced yourself was most definitely sweet and one I will never forget, but it was much too short. We will have to meet again and really get to know you all!
DeleteMuch Love to you!
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Looks like a wonderful time! I really wanted to go. (we were invited by the Laubenthals. Did you meet them?) On another note, I know Lilly and Gretel! Just saw them a couple of weeks ago, actually. :)
ReplyDeleteAwe, it would have made our party of friends all the more merrier! I don't even believe I have met you yet on our blog Michaela, but I am so glad you piped up! The Laubenthals are a remarkable family and we are more closely connected than we thought–it turns out we went to the same Church at different times and left it at different times, and the only time our paths crossed before this weekend was at a conference several years ago.
DeleteWe made some pretty strong friendships with both the twins! They are fantastic!!! And who knows? We might get to meet you in person pretty soon if too with their help...? :D
How do you know Gretel and Lily? They are such a sweet pair of sisters! We did have a lovely time with them!
Good to meet you Michaela!
Much love,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Also, a couple of things I forgot to mention! I saw the twins a few weeks before the reenactment, and I actually asked them if they knew you. ;) Oh yes, and I live in Ohio too.
DeleteAh! What a great time!! (By the by, that gal in the black and white skirt is my younger sister Katherine. :])
ReplyDeleteIt was grand meeting y'all (that's natural from me, I'm from the South no matter where I live. :D)...but I'm sorry I was rather 'out of it' being tired and all. I either talk all the time or clam up when groggy like that.
Enjoyed your music! :)
Racheal
Oh dear, Rachel, you will have to excuse me, I must have been just as tired as you because I didn't register that that was your sister! My humblest apologies Katherine!
DeleteWe were all tired, but it was still such fun to exchange things about ourselves when we did chat. I am glad to have another cow love'n companion! ;] But you are such a dear to stop by and comment, even after I did your sister a terrible injustice!
Thank you Rachel! We hope to meet you again!
Love in Christ,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Looks like you had a splendid time! :) Such sweet, smiling faces in the photos. Glad you for!
ReplyDeletexo,
Ali
All the photos are so nice but I really liked the second one.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful, wonderful time for you ladies! Jessica, your post that you referred to about friendships spoke so much to me that day, hence, that I really was unsure of what to say. Your words said what I believe so many of us girls want to say and what we yearn to happen. We desperately need to open our lives to trust worthy like-minded so that we can be further enriched. I think that your conclusion of the topic you conveyed is pinpointed. So many people (not just girls) are somehow being somber when it comes to more spiritual and thoughtful things in life. There is so much that many of us could share if only one would begin to express the need for closeness of a friend. I have made just the same choices as you described in your original post that, again, kept my words at bay. Choosing the group of elder ladies to fellowship with or being the 'spiritual one' to bring up a 'deep' topic brought their moments of unrest as I am sure you are well aware. As I am sure too that you have found they have has their times of blissfulness as well. Pressing or sharing something personal, at the correct time, can be so rewarding! We may not even know how much we have inspired or blessed a person. I know how hard and depressing a leery conversation can be when all you want is to share something that will help further what our greatest calling is- to speak the life of our struggles and joys to the people of our Creator; to strengthen. We must press forward my friend! I have had people open up to me recently, their own longings and struggles, completely out of the blue. I know that it is because of what I had said it in past that spurred them on to share with me, only what a dear friend should be able to know. Sometimes we just have to be the odd one out. Look at what our Lord endured while He was on this earth! And all He wanted was to have a relationship with His people. Funny how that corresponds with this very situation isn't it!?
ReplyDeleteI share your yearning and your sentiment dear friend.
I am so very exited to hear more about this joyous event! I am so happy know that you where refreshed and that you feel so much so that you share it with us.
love as always,
Cassie
Dear sweet Cassie, thank you ever so much for opening up in this way and giving us such a wonderful reminder of how our Lord did go through almost the very same troubles we find ourselves in. May we learn to be more like Him.
DeleteMany blessings and hugs to you & Rebekah.
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Oooh that looks exciting!!! When I saw the picture of Lily, Gretel, and Kathryn, I squealed!! Lily is my seamstress hero, and Kathryn is my photographer hero, so I was very happy to see pictures of them.
ReplyDelete:-) I love your outfits and hats!!
Yay for the Riggenbach girls, and sweet Katherine! They are some of the nicest, not to mention classiest ladies. :)
DeleteThanks Esther!
Love,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
I wish I could have gone down there- it looked so much fun!! The dresses are SOOO cute- same goes for the cars!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all those lovely photos- you ladies rock!!
Blessings,
Grace
It would have been such fun to meet you there Grace! You are so sweet, dear!
DeleteMuch love to you,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Yes, you are correct with my name :) It was lovely meeting y'all! Thank you for the uplifting post, Jessica. It is indeed a wonderful encouragement to meet other young ladies from across the country who are seeking the Lord with all their hearts.
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Hannah
Yay! Thanks for confirming my faulty memory Hannah! I am so glad we could meet you in person! I hope we can see you again soon and get to know each other a little better. :)
DeleteLove and blessings in Christ,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
It was lovely to meet you girls! You were definitely the friendliest people we met and I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with you and listening to your delightful music. I'm still super bummed that we missed your performance with the swing band! Hope to see you all again in future. :-)
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of all of us, by the way! I might snag it if I may...?
It strikes me as so odd to be conversing with you through the comment form on this blog again, and I keep pinching myself to remember that it won't be a while yet until we see each other again. Haha! ;)
DeleteYes of course! By all means go right ahead and use the photo of your choice! Charlotte is quite flattered to hear you liked them so much!
I guess you will have to come and see us again with the band some day! (Just pray that it would be the Lord's will that the Courters have the gumption to put on another Remembering WWII event next year and you definitely will!)
Hope to see you again soon Kathryn!
Love,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Hi Jessica! :) I think I've talked to Charlotte here before. :) I really enjoy your blog, and have been following it pretty closely for maybe a year now. Always enjoy seeing the variety in your posts. . .sisters are the best. I come from an all-girl family too, so I know. ;) (I have four younger sisters.) Anywho--I met Genesis and Sydney on a film set, actually, and then most of their family came to one of our monthly fellowships. We haven't gotten to connect very often yet, but they are such wonderful girls! It was funny, because we got to hang out for almost an entire day on the movie, and we knew a lot of the same people. Small world. :)
ReplyDeleteLets see. . .I met Lilly a couple of years ago while working on a costume team for yet another film. She and her family attended the homeschool alumni event I coordinate both last year and this year. It was only a couple of weeks ago. . .that is why I saw them. :) Again, we have several mutual friends.
It would be wonderful to meet you ladies someday! :) In the meantime, here is the link to my blog: http://quaintlyquaintrelle.blogspot.com/
Many blessings!
Michaela
How interesting! And you hit the nail on the head–it is a very small world! :)
DeleteThanks for the link! I will stop by when I can!
Hope to meet you in person soon, but until then, blogging and commenting is the way to go.
Blessings,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
I am so, so glad we were able to meet you all in person and get to know you better! It is so nice to have the "real life" context of meeting you all- it makes blog reading so much more personal and enjoyable! (added bonus is now I won't worry about looking like a stalker... ;-))
ReplyDeleteThank YOU all so much for being so friendly and personable all weekend- we all greatly enjoyed our time with you, and I'm glad to hear that we didn't burden you with our continual presence. :-) Also, we SO enjoyed hearing your singing! I don't typically watch video clips on my computer, so this was the first time we heard your singing. :-) We have been humming the songs constantly for the last few days, and now we're on an Andrews Sisters kick. ;-)
I hope we can experience the pleasure of your company again in the near future! I forgot to mention this in person- but please stop by if you're ever in the area! :-)
I am smiling as I think about what you said Lily. No! Of course you weren't a burden! It was tiring to be amongst so many new people, but it was a good kind of tired that I needed to feel. It takes a lot to make me think ill of a person, and you, your sister, and Kathryn will probably never ever be labeled by such a horrid word as burdensome.
DeleteAnd yes! I will forever hear your charming voice in my head every time I read one of your posts or comments! Very weird, and very wonderful. ;)
We will!
Love,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
What fun! Meeting all those bloggers face to face sounds like such a neat experience! And how fun that you were able to meet so many at one time.
ReplyDeleteI got really excited when I saw Kathryn, as I've flowed her blog for several years and didn't realize she was going to be at that event! So cool!
Seeing all theses photos makes me wish I lived out east and could have gone. It sounds like such a fun event and it would have been lovely to meet so many homeschool bloggers!
We wish you could have too! In fact there was a mix up in my head Sereina between you and someone else we were hoping to see down in Linden, and so for a while I was looking forward to finally meeting you, only to be disappointed by my sisters correction. Such a bummer! But Lord willing there will be another time. :)
DeleteMuch love to you my friend,
Jessica
The eldest sister & singer
Wow, looks like y'all had fun! Everyone's so adorable in their 1940s garb. :)
ReplyDeleteFellowshipping is such a great blessing, and I'm so happy y'all meet so many new people! It was so nice to see the faces of a few bloggers whose blogs I like to read! :) I look forward to seeing more about your trip :)
ReplyDeleteSecond person plural. Third person is "they". It kept bugging the language student in me. :P
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it was quite the meeting! Did you plan beforehand? From your other photos, it seems like it was quite a big event, so I can imagine that finding some people might have been hard if you planned to meet...