October 1, 2014

Remembering WWII // The Outfits

Remembering WWII // The Outfits
Hello Dearies! I can hardly believe it's Wednesday! It seems as if it should be Tuesday, but I suppose that is because half of my Monday was stolen by some much needed sleep after the long car ride home from Remembering WWII. Oh, what a splendid, fabulous, never-going-to-forget time we had down in Tennessee...
If I remember correctly, one of the things y'all wanted to see the most from our trip was our outfits that we wore for the reenactment! Well then, without further ado...

Remembering WWII // The Outfits
What Brigid's Wearing:
Dress: Me-made from Simplicity 1324 (a vintage 1940's pattern), and some vintage rayon
Shoes: Vintage from Etsy.com | Hat: Antique Store | Buttons and Buckle set: Etsy.com
Remembering WWII // The Outfits
This dress was so much fun to make and wear! I was finally able to dig into my vintage rayon stash and use this fabric. I'd been saving it for a while for just the perfect dress, and boy am I glad I did! The fabric is just so smooth and comfy. I think this is my new favorite "dress-up" dress. :)
Oh, and I ended up wearing my yellow shoes after all. They were fairly comfy, but my feet were nevertheless killing me by the end of the day! On a lighter note, doesn't my hat just go perfectly with my dress? I call it my Mary Poppins hat, because the flowers remind me of the daisies that always stuck away from her hat in such a funny angle.

Now, my dears, you get to see another project I was "working" on, only the master craftsman is my sister Jessica! I was only the "instruction manual", tee-hee. :)
Remembering WWII // The Outfits
What Jessica's Wearing:
Dress: Jessica-Made, Simplicity 1324, made with vintage rayon from Sew What's New Fabrics
Gold Heart Buttons: Also from Sew What's New Fabrics
Shoes: Toms Wedges | Hat: Antique Store | Earrings: Target
Remembering WWII // The Outfits
This dress was a learning experience for both Jessica and I. She had only sewn one dress before this one, and this was the first dress she has ever made from start to finish! I say she did a VERY good job! We had some frustrating times, but that probably had something to do with my impatience, and the fact that there were no instructions, so my brain was the instruction manual. Eep!
Oh, and here's the reason why Jessica's dress doesn't look like mine, even though it is made from the same pattern: When we first basted it together the dress was too big, and too long, so we shortened and narrowed the bodice. BAD IDEA!!! The dress almost got trashed because it was suddenly too small! Thankfully we were able to rescue it by putting some length back on the bodice by adding a waistband, and adding some width by eliminating the bodice tucks. Close call, eh?

Don't Jessica's Toms go perfectly with her dress? Not to mention her hat too! When Jessica picked up this hat in the antique store, it was like a match made in heaven with her dress! It even had daisies on it! If you can't tell, the print on Jessica's dress is a sort of gardening print, with daisies, gardening gloves and straw hats. Oh the joy of a good novelty print!
Remembering WWII // The Outfits
What Charlotte's Wearing:
Dress: Charlotte-made, made from S & S's 1940's Swing Dress Pattern, fabric from Vintage Deja's
Hat: Borrowed from Mom, bought at an Antique Store
 Shoes: B.A.I.T footwear | Bracelet: Clothes Mentor | Earrings: F21
Remembering WWII // The Outfits
Charlotte whipped up this dress in a jiffy! Even though she did have a bit of a setback when it mysteriously ended up too small the first time around! Her shoes have a bit of a story behind them, which I won't go into here, but I can tell you, my feet weren't the only ones that were hurting by the end of the day. READ: Don't wear B.A.I.T. shoes all day long!

Well, that's the wrap for our daytime reenactment outfits. Y'all are just going to have to wait until Saturday to see what we wore for the U.S.O dinner! Any guesses?

What do you think of what we wore to Remembering WWII?
Whose outfit is your favorite?
Have you ever worn uncomfortable shoes all day long?

Blessings,

Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer

P.S. These photos were taken in the early morning as we were helping set up for the U.S.O dinner. Thus our shoes are rather wet from walking in the dewy grass. :)


CREDITS // Author: Brigid Boyer; Photography: Charlotte & Brigid Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Film Presets

21 comments:

  1. Golly, you gals look so lovely! I may or may not have had a little hat and shoe envy. ;P Hope you liked TN as much as I do and I hope that the next time y'all come down here I won't miss the opportunity to meet you! Love love love your ensembles. :D

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tough decision! Whose outfit do I like best? If I have to make a choice, I think Brigid's - the shoes are fabulous, I love the fabric of the dress, and overall, well, it is just so charming. Of course, all three of you look deliciously vintage, right out of the 1940s! Congratulations to you all. :) I do covet Charlotte's hat, though.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these! I so wish I had been able to attend but our week has been so, so crazy! :( It looks like it was absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all! I especially love Jessica's hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely outfits! You're hat is really cute and I love your shoes. I really like the waistband on Jessica's dress. It looks really good! And the fabric from Charlotte's dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these outfits are beautiful! It sounds like you had an absolutely amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh boy. How am I ever going to pick a favorite? I'm going to say Charlotte's is my favorite just because that red print is beautiful. But really, they're all my favorite! Gorgeous dresses!!
    Have I ever worn uncomfortable shoes all day? Um, yes. I have some oxford pumps from Modcloth which are really cute, but even after only 4-5 hours my feet are killing me. My big toes get smashed to death...it's just not fun. And, those are 1 of my only 2 pairs of vintage shoes, AND, we are going on vacation in about a month to a location where we do TONS of walking. Got any suggestions for where to find vintage-style shoes? (In very un-vintage size 11?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I have worn uncomfortable shoes all day long. The same day you did. ;-) But they were stinkin' cute so it was worth the pain! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the dresses turned out wonderful- you ladies did a beautiful job!!! I loooove everything vintage! I think it's neat that each dress was floral- but each one was individual and unique, but their print and pattern made them uniform in a way. :)
    I looove the shoes you three chose! I'm a shoe girl so....... :)
    Blessings,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gals are just SO talented and have a beautiful sense of style. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *adore* your shoes, Brigid! I'm so disappointed I didn't notice them in person.... but maybe it's for the best anyway, as I would have been struggling with jealousy all day. Mustard oxfords?? How much more perfect can you get?!

    Oh, and your (near horror) story of Jessica's dress reminded me of myself. I really hate when those incidents occur!! And honestly- I never noticed the differences until you mentioned them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your outfits are simply lovely! :) You girls look so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You ladies all look fantastic! :D "Way to go" to Jessica for sewing her own dress! Brigid, your shoes are darling. And the cut of Charlotte's dress is so pretty; it reminds me of a vintage pattern we have that will one day hopefully become a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are y'all going to share any video of y'all singing??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those dresses are absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, all of your outfits are just fabulous!!! I love them! This event sounded like it was just so much fun. And you got to meet so many wonderful people, as well as re-present the history of our beloved country.

    Do you think that this event will become an annual one? I do hope so!!! I was so sorry to have to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10/02/2014

    Lovely, vintagy outfits, ladies. :)

    I really like the colors of Jessica's outfit, and I also really like Brigid's shoes. And, speaking of shoes, yes I have had to wear uncomfortable shoes all day. For one thing, the first time my mom and I visited Chicago with some family members, we both wore shoes that were not made for walking! So, guess what two ladies walked down the sidewalks of Chicago BAREFOOT? Ahem, yes, guilty as charged. ;) And then there was my uncle's wedding, in which I went most of the reception barefooted, as well. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of blisters on my feet. Haha!

    Blessings!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew Brigid and Jessica's dresses looked particularly vintage. Vintage fabric, vintage pattern, no wonder!
    But don't make me pick a favourite, please... I love the hats, and my favourite is Jessica's because of the colour and daisies, and you'll have to make do with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your outfits are lovely, girls!

    I have a question. What do you normally wear overtop your so-beautiful hand sewn dresses? I don't see many posts with you wearing layers - is this because it's so warm where you live you just don't wear warmth over your outfit? If so, what do you wear in the colder seasons? Or do you just take off your outer garments for the photo shoots?

    I would appreciate your clarification on this. :) Thanks a million and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all so cute but I'd have say Jessica's is my favorite. I have worn uncomfortable shoes all day many times. The last time I wore wedge heels to Disney World. The blisters were so bad I had to buy one of their expensive pairs of flip flops just so I could keep going. Anyway, this event looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!