October 9, 2014

Beauty // Autumn Performance Makeup

Beauty // Autumn Performance Makeup
Hello dears! We girls love to be unique and creative with how we dress and appear to our audiences when we perform, from dresses, to shoes, right up to makeup! And we have so much fun developing new color combinations for our performance makeup for each season: purple & pink for summer, red and blue for winter, and this Autumn: orange and red! Today I am going to show you how to achieve this look for yourself.

Although this look is not strictly "vintage", it does have certain attributes that harken back to the golden era. The red hued lipstick, blush application, and eyeshadow retain a very glamorous, retrospective appeal that we girls always try and implement in all of our makeup looks. At the same time, however, we like to keep it as simple and easy as possible. It's stressful enough getting the show together and getting out the door on time, so makeup needs to be fresh, simple, yet effective.

Each of us girls has a different way of implementing this look, but the basic colors stay the same. Each of us might use a different mascara, brow filler, etc. However, the lip color, eyeshadow, and blush always stay the same between each of us. the tutorial below illustrates the way that I do the makeup look, and I do different techniques for my base, shadow, and lashes than the girls; but the overall look is still consistent with theirs'. Another thing that I should add, is that we girls really amp up our eyes and blush for performances, since we are pretty much doing stage makeup. For a special occasion or date, etc., you can be much more subtle with the colors and eye enhancement.

PRODUCTS USED–

Beauty // Autumn Performance Makeup
Start with a clean face and exfoliated lips. This is a very important step, as it will make your lips much more supple and take the lip color much better.

I must note here that my acne shows up worse than it really is, and I also had a break out the day we took these so... just look past the yucky red dots all over my face :)
Beauty // Autumn Performance MakeupTHE METHOD–
  • Apply your base as you usually might. I apply the BB cream all over my face, and then buff it in with a mini kabuki brush.
  • Apply aloe vera gel through your brow hair with a spooly brush. Allow that to dry, then fill in with shadow or pencil.
  • Prep your eyes with eye primer of choice (optional), and brush brown shadow all over the lid, as directed by the arrows, coming out a tad farther than your lid extends. almost like a fat, round cat-eye :)
  • Line the very top edge of your eyelid with a black liquid eyeliner pen (optional, but best for a bold eye which is essential for a performance look).
  • Curl your lashes with your eyelash curler of choice (This is optional. I use an electric one that I picked up on Amazon.) Apply a good amount of mascara to your lashes.
  • Smile, and apply blush to the apples of your cheeks, swirling the brush in a circular motion, and then sweeping back just below the cheek bone. 
  • Apply lip color along your natural lip line. If you have thinner lips, you can fill them out with a lip pencil that matches the hue of your lip color, and then apply the lip color.

Beauty // Autumn Performance Makeup
And there you have it! The Boyer Family Singers' Autumnal performance makeup! I hope you all enjoyed this post. I know that many of you wonder about our costumes and methods of singing, harmonizing, etc. So this post is just a peek into that :)

What is your makeup routine for special occasions/performances?

xoxo,
-Charlotte

CREDITS // Author: Charlotte Boyer; Photography: Brigid Boyer; Graphics: Charlotte Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Film Presets

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the makeup tips! I also love using BB cream as a base and rarely use foundation (which is good because it's a lot more expensive!). And it's also less harsh on your face! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't BB Cream just the best? I especially love it because it is so much less heavy and a lot more moisturizing (which is especially nice for me who gets rather peely in the cooler months ;)

      Thanks for commenting!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Charlotte! Great post. I do love the idea of trying autumnal hues for makeup--I've never thought of that before. But Autumn is my favorite season, and has such a lovely palette of color inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Genevieve! Yes, Autumn has to have one of the best color palettes!

      Thanks for commenting!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  3. I love this post and I'm glad you girls decided to share a peek into how you get ready for your performances! :)

    dance a real

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, dear!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  4. Very nice look Charlotte! I'm currently loving the wonderful bold berry lip so many are trying out for the fall season. I'd like to grab a nice dark berry hue the next chance I get!
    I also just bought the very same BB cream you used here! I'm really liking the result!

    I don't have much time to chat, but this was wonderfully done dear!
    And I have one wee Q to ask of you, what eye liner pencil did you use?

    Thanks!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassie dear! Yes, the bold berry lip is definitely an adorable addition to autumnal makeup.

      Isn't Physicians Formula Super BB just fabulous? I love the coverage I get (especially since I have to deal with acne... ;)

      Thanks for commenting!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  5. Very detailed and lovely tutorial -- I'm impressed! :) Thanks for sharing, Charlotte. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweet Acacia!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  6. Lovely look! :D It definitely has an autumnal flair. Thanks for sharing.
    For special occasions I do whatever I feel like for the particular event, but eyeliner is usually involved. When in choir I would usually wear eyeliner because, as you said, it's important for a performance look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paige! Yes, eyeliner can be pretty essential for performance looks. It just gives the eyes that extra oomph ;)

      Thanks for commenting!

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  7. You are so stinkin' adorable! :) I like how you kept the eyes simple and classic, sometimes the eyeshadow and eyeliner combinations can be way too much.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah!

      Thanks so much for your comment :) Yes, I would have to agree with you on the subject of eye makeup. It can be really easy to go over the top with it, which is why we girls always try and keep it simple and easy :)

      xoxo,
      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!