August 20, 2014

WWII Reenactment // Prep Work

WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
Hello dearies! It has been all work and play over here at the BFS studios (that's what comes of having a business that you love. :D ). Since we're gearing up for a few different upcoming events, I thought I would share with you all a peek into that process; specifically getting everything (non-singing related) ready for our trip down to Tennessee for Remembering WWII.

WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
Jessica and I decided that we wanted to do a bit of a sew along together to make our dresses for the event. Ha! That didn't quite work out, since I already have mine finished. But I still am helping Jessica, as this is only her second dress that she's ever made. I must say she is doing a perfectly splendid job, and is extremely patient with my slightly scatter-brained ways. She has even thought of different, more practical ways of going about making her dress that I never would have thought of. The blessings of having sisters.
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
My Hatbox, with all of my lovely vintage hats and gloves in it. I can't wait to take a few of them down to Tennessee with me.
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
A peek at my finished dress complete with belt and vintage hat. I am so happy with my dress. And can you believe it, everything, except for the thread, the zipper, and the interfacing for the belt is vintage! Fabric, bias tape, buttons and buckle, everything is vintage!
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
If you'll remember in my 1940's Reenactment Inspiration post, I said I was still looking for shoes. Well, I found them! These beauties are from the 1970's, made by Sears, no less. I think they will work perfectly for an early to mid 40's ensemble, even with the slightly more pointed toe. They look most like late 30's shoes in my opinion. They have a 3" heel, so I might have a wee bit of sore feet by the end of the day. Ah! The things we sacrifice for fashion. :)
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
I've also been doing a bit of re-reading in my 1940's sewing book to make sure that the techniques that I used in making my dress, and that I am having Jessica use, are accurate. I love looking at how people did things decades ago. So much has changed since the 1940's, and yet some things, even sewing techniques, haven't. I can certainly be grateful for that!
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
I just started working on some U.S.O armbands for we girls to wear for the private U.S.O dinner. I'm also going to make some STAFF armbands for the staff members of the event. Oh! It's going to be so much fun!
WWII Reenactment // Prep Work
Oh, and I can't forget! The last, but not least, bit of prep work: Our CD's came!!! We're hoping to release these online by the end of the week, but we'll see. We would appreciate your prayers that everything gets worked out on time. I know that whatever happens, and whenever we release the CD's, it will all be in the Lord's perfect timing. We'll also be selling these CD's down in Tennessee at the Remembering WWII event, so if you're going to be there, do come and pick one up in person!

If you were going to a WWII reenactment, would you make or buy your dress?
Are you all tired of me rambling on about the WWII event? ;)
Have you entered the Lilla Rose Giveaway yet? You'd better hurry, because it ends tonight!
Would you like us to do a post on how we get everything singing-related ready for an event?

Blessings,

Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer

CREDITS // Author: Brigid Boyer; Photography (except for last photo): Charlotte Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Film Presets.

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE your 40's outfit Brigid! It is SOO pretty!!! I would wear it in a heartbeat. :)
    And your CD's are came! That is fantastic! I'm so excited for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigid, your dress is lovely! Where did you find your shoes?! So cute! Your yellow chevron dress is gorgeous too. Love the deep mustard yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison,

      I found my shoes at this Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BambooBimbo
      The shop was in Canada, but the shipping was REALLY fast! I got it practically two weeks before I was expecting them. They are really nice, and are going to be perfect for the WWII event.

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  3. Sooo exciting about the CD's!!! Congratulations, girls!
    God is so good to let our dreams become reality, is He not?
    Also, love the reenactment dress, Brigid. :)
    xo,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alison, God is good!

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
    2. (oh! also, just a random note to say that I really like your chevron dress! did you make it yourself? or did you buy it somewhere? :)}

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited about the CD!! Will you possibly be selling it at Bible Bee Nationals? Brigid, did you make the chevron dress you're wearing in the 4th picture? It's lovely! Have a wonderful, blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      No, we will not be selling our CD at Nationals as far as we know. And I did make my dress, thanks for the compliment! :)

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to get ahold of one of those lovely CDs! You girls must be feeling so blessed and excited by this next step in you musical journey. Brigid, that vintage sewing book looks fantastic! I love that era of sewing. I'll be keeping my eyes out for something similar. Where did you find that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CGrace!

      We are super duper excited for our CD!
      I love the 40's for sewing too! I actually got my book from Ashley of Bramblewood Fashion when she was having a blog sale. You can find another copy here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Sewing-Dressmaking/dp/B0007E31FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408631159&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Complete+book+of+Sewing+by+Constance+Talbot

      I love getting used books on Amazon... :D

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  6. That dress is SO cute!!! I'd love to read about how you get all your singing related things together! That's awesome that you guys have a CD!!!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress! (Yellow is one of my favorite colors.)

    We are going to WWII Remembered! I look forward to hearing y'all sing in person. :) (This is my first ever WWII reenactment....) I already have one outfit, but plan on making a second one in case the weather is cooler than my light-weight sailor suit wants to put up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It will be so fun to meet you, and several other of our followers in person! It is going to be so exciting!!!

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  8. Will your cd be on iTunes???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. U! Yes, our CD will hopefully be on iTunes REALLY soon! We will be sure and let you all know when it's up!

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  9. My family is planning on attending the WWII Reenactment! I hope to see y'all there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! So exciting! We can't wait to meet everyone!

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  10. SO exciting! I'm hoping to be able to attend, Lord willing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kalin, I hope you'll be able to come! That would be so neat!

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  11. The WWII reenactment sounds fun! Wish I could go...:)
    I love your dress and shoes! I would love to make my own dress, but don't quit know if I'm skilled enough. haha :D
    I think there were shoes kind of like yours at Payless. They may have been too modern though.
    So happy for ya'll that your CD came out!
    Blessings,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace,

      I think if you put your mind to it you could make a dress. I think anyone, if they take their time and are willing to make mistakes can learn to sew their own clothes. Just a word of encouragement. :)

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  12. I was so glad to see this post! I hope that you share further posts with us as you prepare for this WWII Reenactment.

    I did sign up--but I'm not sure that I'm going to make it. No way to uh...get there this year. :) However, if they do this every year, then I would definitely plan on getting there next year!!! I was so excited to learn that something like this even existed.

    And I love your outfit, Brigid! I can't wait to see pictures of you in it.

    And your CDs!!! How thrilling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve!

      Oh, it would have been so much fun if you could've come! I do believe they're planning on doing it every year, depending on the success, I suppose, of this year, but I'm not 100% sure. We're looking forward to it, and will definitely share more with you all about the event!

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  13. What an interesting thing to do, WWII Reenactment. I would def get involved in such a thing if it existed around here. Congrats on the cd, very exciting!! I've watched you on youtube, you all have lovely voices :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janice R8/22/2014

    Your hat and yellow dress are really lovely. Did you use a pattern to make it or did you draft it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice!

      I used my first ever original 1940's pattern. It is actually a copy of a copy of an original pattern, since I didn't want to damage the original traced pattern that is from 1947 (I believe the original pattern is from the mid 1940's). Someday I hope to make more self-drafted dresses, but we'll see. I hope to do a more in depth post on the dress in the future, including all of the lovely details!

      Blessings,

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  15. Love that dress! I can't wait to see what else you ladies come up with. And many congrats on the CD!

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!