August 19, 2014

How We Play // Dollhouse Dolls (Pt. 2)

How We Play // Dollhouse Dolls (Pt. 2)
Well hello there!
I never realized what a pleasure it is to be able to sit down and write up a post, until just this morning. Not that I don't already like it, but after all of the craziness with singing, I can appreciate it much more now than I ever have because it is a way for me to share and express what living a good life is, and has been like. There are so many little details that consume my days each week now, so to have a time to quietly reminisce over the past is quite wonderful, and almost luxurious. Funny how things can look from a different angle. Speaking of which, Charlotte learned the very same thing a few years ago in Toy Land whenever she discovered a new love for making her own dolls. Lets see what she made.

How We Play // Dollhouse Dolls
As Charlotte is currently tied up with school projects, I will endeavor to tell you the story behind these sweet doll house families on my own. It was a while after the Botsford family had been loved and played with that Brigid suddenly decided to try her hand at sewing her own dollhouse dolls. Sitting in Church one Sunday, she suddenly had an inspiration to finally sew her own miniature cloth dollhouse dolls. The idea was that they would live in a grand mansion, complete with a cook (the black haired doll) and a maid (the red haired doll). I must say, the Penningtons were the most fashionable family on the streets of Carnationton! I say fashionable not for their clothes, but because of their delicate, soft presence they seemed to add to our little world of hard, clay dolls. They were top notch, and fully functional. Best of all, their lack of jointed elbows and knees made it possible for them to remain in perfect condition for as long as we played with them.

Somehow or other, the Pennington family ended up living in a newly built wooden dollhouse, and not a mansion. Also, it was Charlotte's dollhouse, the one presented to her on her 10th birthday! How did this happen? Well, Charlotte loved the Penningtons the best, despite the fact that they were Brigi's ingenious creation. It was Charlotte who had the time of her life setting up house for them, making furniture, sewing tiny curtains and cushions, sculpting their food etc.. Thus, before too long, the Penningtons were known as Charlotte's dolls. Brigi was content to continue clothing them, and she even made the tiny twins for her upon request. But there was one thing that didn't suit either Brigi or I–simply, Lottie greatest pleasure was rearranging her doll's house once a week. Once a week!!! This drove Brigi and I insane, and for a while we both thought she was crazy! We two, who were perfectly content to let our dollhouse rooms remain as they were for months on end (cleaning them was still a necessity), couldn't understand Charlotte's passion for constantly making her house look new and entirely different each week! But, this is how our little sister was, and still is (with greater temperance, thankfully) to this very day.
How We Play // Dollhouse Dolls
So, after the arrival of the Penningtons, Charlotte was bitten by the creative bug, and was soon hard at work on a new addition to Carnationton. This lovely threesome is a family whose name was once called the Gustav family. They were second to last of the members to enter our little town, and thus the memories we have of them are few. Contrary to the Penningtons, Charlotte made up her mind to make her new family in clay, and her inspiration was gathered from Germany. She was fond of the idea of pretzels, cheeses, fondues especially, and all things German-like at the time, and so the only sensible way for her to have miniature clay pretzels and fondues was to make a family who would make and eat her favorite food! She knew her own mind well, and if I was asked to guess their nationality, I would have said German. Would you? They look it, don't they?

I don't know if Charlotte had the Penningtons move out of her only doll house, if Brigi took them back to her own house, or if she made a more humble abode for this small family? However, I do know that for a while, all we could hear from her room was the thick accents of her little German Gustavs. Haha! Oh what joy and bliss!
How We Play // Dollhouse Dolls
Last of all, came the delightful little Robertson family. This family was collectively made up of adult brothers and sisters–the brothers from one family, the sisters from various others–you might say they made up their own sorority and fraternity when they came to town! Charlotte's little scheme was to pair up her new clay dolls as soon as they came to town. To her great satisfaction, they all seemed to like the idea very much. :) Their names escape our memories (they were the very last Carnationtonions), but from what I recall, they were modeled after a fictional dollhouse family from a book called, "The Rackety Packety House".

All in all, the Robertsons were Charlotte's pride and joy for the remainder of her time in Toy Land. She made up merry little adventures for them, and as you can see, had a jolly time sewing their clothes! I love them best because of how simple and yet beautiful they are. Somehow or other, Charlotte possessed this talent of effortlessly making her dolls. I mean, she never spent more than a half hour on each little person when she sculpted them, and yet they turned out so innocent and charming to the eye! I on the other hand possessed the desire to perfect each little doll I made, and thus it took hours to get them to take on a more realistic look. It was a struggle to not do so, and thus, I believe that is why I could appreciate Charlotte's handiwork so much. That is what sisters are for: they can be so different, but in many ways this is the best blessing of all. No one likes cookie cutter people, except for the gingerbread kind. ;)

Which of Charlotte's families appeal to you the most?
(Not to compare, but) Do you like her simple style, or my more realistic style of doll making?
If you could, would you try to make your own toys for your children?
Have you Read "The Rackety Packety House" before?

Happily,

Jessica
The eldest sister & singer 


CREDITS // Author: Jessica Boyer; Photography: Charlotte Boyer; Photos Edited with VSCO Film Presets.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/19/2014

    I like all of them, although I have to say that I'm partial to the cloth dolls because they remind me of the dolls I made when I was a kid.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to go back and look at your dolls again, Jessica, to take note of the distinctness of your dolls as contrasted with Charlotte's. I must say, though, that the Robertsons are my favorite of Charlotte's dolls! I love them!! My favorite gentleman doll is the blond, and my favorite of the ladies is the one dressed all in white. I am amazed at how wonderful the faces are--I doubt that I could sculpt as quickly as Charlotte! I am more like you, Jessica, in being a slow perfectionist.

    I would like to make toys for my children---but also, after being inspired by what the three of YOU did as children, I would want to encourage my children to be just as creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree with you on your choice of favored dolls, Genevieve. Isn't it funny how there can be so many different types of people who can make beautiful things, but because we are all so different, no two creations ever come out like the other? I praise the Lord for this blessing of individuality.

      I am so pleased to hear that we have inspired you to teach your children to be innovative! That is so key in becoming the person you are going to be as you grow up.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Love,

      Jessica
      The eldest sister & singer

      Delete
  3. These are so cute!
    You know, I never did make any dolls for myself that weren't made of cloth, and even those weren't very good because I have never had much of a knack or knowledge for sewing -- mine were usually fashioned out of old socks, with stitched on mouths and buttons for eyes. I did enjoy them, though. You all win the prize for the most skill and creativity on your handmade dolls, I think! :)
    So enjoyed this. :)
    xo,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made sock dolls too, once upon a time! Only, we never sewed them, we were too young at the time, so Mom made them for us.

      Thanks for sharing Ali!

      Smiles,

      Jessica
      The eldest sister & singer

      Delete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!