
Hello dearies! Sometimes things just do not work out the way you had planned them. I had planned on writing up this "garment making process" post in expectation of showing you the finished product next week, but alas, that shall not be. At least not in the way I had planned.

If you'll remember this post I did back in the spring on Palazzo pants, I said I planned on making myself a pair at some time in the future with some crazy vintage material I had. Well, I made the pattern, made the mock-up (it fit perfectly), and was putting together the final pair. I tried them on, and my heart sank. The rayon was so drape-y that they fit, ahem, a wee bit too well in the rear. Yep, not good.

I tried solution after solution. I thought I had finally come up with one, but when I tried on the finished pants, they still fit too well. I came up with a cover-up solution, but I still wasn't happy. I wanted to start over with a blank slate, and not have to think about those pants again for a few days. They were wearable, but I knew I probably would not wear them as much as I wished to just because of the fit issues. But that's what sisters are for...


I told the girls about my dilemma, and Charlotte piped up, volunteering to try them on. I let her, and, boy, did those palazzos look smashing on her! They just fit perfectly in every way! The print, the style, the fit, it was Charlotte all over. So now, those pants are Charlotte's. You just might see them on the blog, if Charlotte decides to show them off, but you won't see them on me. I love having sisters. Most of the time, if something ends up too small for me, it will fit one of them, and by being able to

So, what am I going to do now, you ask? Make another pair of palazzo pants. WHAT!? After you just failed in making a pair? Yep! I'm not going to let my mistakes beat me. That pattern needs to be refined, and I want a pair of palazzo pants for myself. I have a battle plan, but if it doesn't work out again, I won't take it as a defeat, but rather as another lesson learned. Each failure, each mistake, only helps me get to the final, practically perfect, finished garment. Even if that means the finished garment isn't the one I originally had in mind! Isn't that how God sanctifies us? He lets us make mistakes, and then teaches us through them. We don't end up where we planned to, but we are exactly where He wants us to be. Yes, it is hard to fall, and sometimes I just want to give up, but He always clears the way again, and shows me what mountain to climb. And when that mountain has been ascended, oh, won't there be such a glorious view? And then I'll look up, and see the next mountain to be defeated, and a loving Lord leading the way. I can't see, but He can, even if it's in such meager, petty things as a failed sewing project. Precious fabric? yes. But the delight in an even more precious sister's face is so much better. And now I have a new mountain to climb, and I think I can see the route I need to go on. We'll see where the Lord leads.

What do you think when you fail a project?
Do you take it as a failure, or as a building block to a better end?
What mountains have you been climbing lately?
Blessings in the One who gives us strength,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
CREDITS // Author: Brigid Boyer; Photography: Charlotte Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Presets
You did such a wonderful job accepting defeat and graciously giving your project to Charlotte. I have had a couple of re-fashions that turned out too small, so I gave them to my younger sister, but I would have a hard time doing that with something I had put a lot of time into.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see Charlotte wearing them though!!
Hannah
oh i think that this is a wonderful fall project. the colors and the print are just so unique!
ReplyDeletei like to think that failing a project is just another step in the right direction. it is the natural process of learning how and how not to do things and i believe that the Lord allows failure in our lives, weather it be big or small, to teach us this. to rely on Him on the mountains, that He care about every little aspect of our lives.
great job, i can't wait to see the end result. and just think how much more you'll have grown just because of a sewing project. :)
-Abigail
Good for you Bridget! Mistakes can be hard, but I have found that my biggest sewing fails have been my greatest learning tools and make me a more inventive, creative person. I can't tell you how many mistakes have made me actually find a creative way to make the project, not only work, but be better. And on projects that just can't be fixed, I scrap for the fabric for a different project. I love how you can pass on your not-fitting-right clothes to your sisters. Not only do you get to try again, but you bless others in the process. Besides what would our sewing skill set be if we never made mistakes? We probably would be making patterns or projects that are not challenging or stimulating for us. Great job dear!
ReplyDeleteExcellent points! I must admit, I have a hard time when projects don't turn out as I'd like.
ReplyDeleteGood reminder to try, try again!
Natasha
A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com
Thank you Brigid, for sharing your feelings and struggles. I tend to throw in the towel on projects that don't end up to my satisfaction instead of putting into play 'try, try again'. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat do I have to say for your wonderful attitude? Huzzah! And a candid 'good job dearie'.
I am so looking forward to your project once complete! As I am sure thou is. :)
Cassie
Thanks so much for this beautiful post, Brigid! It's so wonderful--you have a lovely, honest humility in sharing your mistakes with us as well as your failures. And that encourages me, to look at my life and all the detours and unexpected events and mistakes, and to see them in a whole new light.
ReplyDeleteAnd the gift of sharing--now Charlotte has an unanticipated gift, and you still have your own pair of palazzos to look forward to. :)