
Good-day, dearies! I trust you all had a lovely Christmas! Can you believe New Year's Eve is tomorrow??? Anyways, our Church had the Yuletide Ball which I have been informing you all about in recent posts, and I thought you all would like to see the photos that resulted from the lovely, blissful evening.













Several ladies from Church volunteered with food, and the decorations were the work of one masterful young lady, with the meager help of the Boyer crew, of course. :)

Some of the "volunteers" for the ball started arriving around 7:00, and we all finished the final prep before the event truly began.

Well, at least some of us helped. :) These two darlings were flitting about the whole evening. You never knew where they would pop up!

Yes, I made myself some gloves. It was the only part of my outfit that was entirely homemade.


Everyone came dressed in their best, to the extent that some of the guys were even in uniform, and one gentleman was even wearing a tail coat!



We had posters of the Etiquette for the ladies and the gents. I think everyone was trying to figure out all evening why the ladies list was longer than the gentleman's. Hmmm... Any ideas?



As promised, a picture of our outfits. I wore a thrifted (altered) skirt, a lace blouse (again thrifted), my homemade gloves, and some dance shoes that I bought as a Christmas present to myself. Oh, and also a necklace that I borrowed from Jessica, as well as some hair flowers I made prior in the year.
Charlotte wore one of our new performance formals, consisting of an altered thrifted skirt (used to be a dress), and a 1940's peplum top made by Mom. Jessica wore the same outfit, but with a crinoline underneath, as well as a stole borrowed from Mom. For shoes, they both wore their performance (singing) pumps, and for gloves, Charlotte wore the ones provided by the Church, and Jessica brought her own vintage leather opera gloves.



Chairs just waiting for people to sit in them.

Oh, yes! Let the dancing begin!






We had an instructor teach us the American Box-step Waltz, and my Dad taught all the contra dances. both Jessica and I had the privilege of dancing (briefly) with the waltz instructor. Let me tell you, it's something else to dance with a professional waltzer! You just glide across the floor, as long as you're not stumbling over your own toes. Both Jessica and I did. We felt like such fools :P


Oh, there was a question last week about our thoughts on such a, um, close contact dance with a guy whom you are not married to. Well, we were VERY unsure as to whether or not we would be waltzing that night. But when the instructor told us the proper hand positions, etc. and that you did not have to stand as close as you see on TV (you all should know what I'm talking about. Viennese Waltz, anyone?), we decided that it was appropriate, and that we could waltz. At long last! I haven't waltzed properly since I was 8! And now I'm... Oh, no... you're not going to get me to tell you how long it's been since I was that age. :)




Typical commandeering me: Telling people what to do, counting how many couples are in the dance, or what-not.



Charlotte got such wonderful pictures, didn't she? She was able to borrow our good friend Joanna's lens for the evening, and boy, it certainly helped to capture the evening beautifully.

My wonderful Dad, teaching some dance or other.

Some of the gentlemen, who were busy the entire evening, dancing. We had a shortage of guys, so while some of the girls had to sit out a dance or two occasionally, the guys were on their toes all. night. long! Talk about gentlemen!

*Sigh* It was such a beautiful evening. It seemed like we came to the last dance all too soon. But there's always next year, isn't there?
Now you all have a happy New Year, you hear?
Blessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
P.S. If you don't mind spending 20 or so minutes watching a video, you can view some of the dances, as well as my Dad teaching them here. Thanks to the K's. for filming the video!
P.S. If you don't mind spending 20 or so minutes watching a video, you can view some of the dances, as well as my Dad teaching them here. Thanks to the K's. for filming the video!
Wow! Looks like it was a truly wonderful night.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are gorgeous, almost makes me feel like I was there!
This looks like so much fun!! All of you look lovely, and I love the way Jessica's hair looks. :)
ReplyDeleteHow long was the ball? You all must have been tired by the end!
It was very nice of those gentleman to dance, I know how hard it can be to get them to do so! :)
Hope you have a wonderful New Year and Christmastide!
~Hannah
Thank you! The Ball went from 7:30 until midnight. We called it to a close a bit early so everyone would help in cleaning up. (Funny... we were asked when the clean up was announced if everyone wanted to dance one or two more dances prior to stopping, most of the guys indicated they wanted two!) Very nice. We had the place back to normal in minutes! Many hands do make light work. Same to you Hannah!!
DeleteWhat a lovely, sparkling ball! It looks like you had fun, and your outfits were beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteWOW! That sounds like so much fun!
ReplyDelete(Just so you know, on the ads on your home page there is something not vary appropriate.:( )
Thanks for letting us know Ellie. Since it is a google ad, we have no control over what they put up there. So sorry. Hopefully that will all be changing soon.
DeleteBlessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
Ok. :) I think it's off now, Thank you! :)
DeleteOh my goodness! What a wonderful evening!
ReplyDeleteYou ladies looked absolutely delicious! :)
It was wonderfully captured Charlotte!
I loved how everything was so orderly and according to plan....The ladies with their gloves and wonderful shawls. And every gentleman dressed up! :)
Thank you ever so much!
I cant wait to view the video!
Much love and blessings on your new years day!
Cassie
Lovely ball. I wish we could do something like this with particular dances. We only get to dance at weddings, and these aren't all really dances. Oh, the fun of dressing up so formally!
ReplyDeleteBalls are absolutely wonderful. All of these pictures make me so excited for the Winter Ball I'm to attend in a few weeks (!!!). I'm so excited.
ReplyDeleteThat looks lovely! I wish I'd could go to something like that, only the fact that I can't dance at all would pose a problem. Beth and I where talking about "if" we ever could do something like that, but I don't think we'd have enough boys, and the ones we'd have probably wouldn't want to dance : )
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are beautiful! It was so fun to see what the Boyer sisters were wearing, and to get a glimpse of the lovely decorations. Everyone looked like they were having a wonderful time!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting us sneak a peek at the Yuletide ball---it *almost* feels like I got to be there! :)
What a lovely evening! It looks like it was a very enjoyable event, and the decorations were very nice! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you all had a wonderful delightful evening ! You ladies were very tastefully dressed. Thanks for sharing with us! Happy new year and God bless you all!
ReplyDeleteCool! Looks like fun:)
ReplyDeleteMegan
Ohhh.... *sigh* it sure looks like you guys had a lovely time! I sure wish we could do something like that. Thanks SO Much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHow fantastic! It looks like it was a delightful evening. (I'm amazed, though, that people were concerned about waltzing too close to men! I suppose all my time doing theater has rather desensitized me, but it seems like a waltz is, aside from a contradanse, one of the most formal dances there is!)
ReplyDeleteIt looks so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI don't have anything else to say...