September 30, 2013

Finding Your Style // Applying What You've Learned

FYS-applyingwhatyouvelearned
Top of the mornin' to you! I hope your weekend was as splendid as mine, filled with fellowship, good food, and fun! Today we come to *sniff, sniff* the second to last part in the Finding Your Style series. Cue the orchestra maestro, we've come to...
FYS-infographic-roadmap

Applying What You've Learned!
Now it's time to get down to how we apply all that we have learned, about resources, our personal styles, and gathering inspiration, to our actual, real life wardrobes. So that means today I will be talking about "What do I do if my style doesn't match my current wardrobe?!?"

Glad you asked!

Treasure hunt in your closet!
Or, your sister's closet *hehe* :)
Since you have discovered what style you like, just like in our assignment last week, go searching in your closet for new combinations that fit your style. Sometimes with just the addition of a few different accessories, such as a hat, or socks of a different length (not socks of differing lengths mind you! We want to be classy, not odd!), your outfit can take on a whole new look! If you don't find very many things in your closet that you love, and don't fit into your style, I would suggest...

Purge your Wardrobe!
Now, I am not suggesting that you just go dump your whole closet at the local Goodwill. No! Pull out those pieces that you haven't worn all season. Why didn't you wear them? Was the weather not right? Did you just plain not like them? Were they impractical? Did they go with anything else in your wardrobe? I am going to be using the handy chart below when I switch out my Summer for my Fall wardrobe, and I can tell you, some things are GOING to go! Another fabulous method to use is this one from The Girls With Glasses.
wardrobe_editing_chart
Now that we're through with that, let's figure out how to add pieces that you love to your wardrobe.

Sew it!
If you're a seamstress like me, you have the fantabulous option of making a custom tailored wardrobe to your own likes, specifications on fit, etc. And if you don't know how to sew now, but want to learn, now is a good time! Start with a simple skirt made out of corduroy, for Fall, or a printed cotton for spring. Have fun with your choices, being sure to consult your inspiration board for colors, styles and shapes that you like.
Thrift it!
This is the second best, cost effective option to sewing your own wardrobe. If you remember these quotes:
you should be pretty well off as far as buying clothes goes. Only buy clothing that you really love, and will fit into your wardrobe. Will that shirt match a significant amount of items in your wardrobe? Will it at least coordinate with two pieces? If not, I would say don't get it, unless you plan on buying a skirt or other wardrobe piece to wear with it.

Quality, not Quantity!
Whether you will be shopping for your new wardrobe, or sewing it, buy the best quality you can afford. Sure, that sweater at Forever 21 may be cute, but how long will it last? Will you be comfortable wearing it? How about that Merona skirt at the thrift store? Will it last as long as the Ann Taylor skirt will? Sure, the Ann Taylor piece might be a bit more expensive (remember, we're talking about shopping at the thrift store), but it will probably last longer than the Merona skirt will. Just remember as you're shopping, it would be better to buy one of a sweater that will last FOR-EVER, rather than ten that will only last a season.

These should be good enough of starters to get you on your way to a wardrobe that is practical, cost-effective, and enjoyable! Now, let's finish up some business from last week...

Challenge No. 1, the follow-up

Last week I gave you all a challenge to go through your wardrobe and come up with an outfit that matched your new style and do a blog post about it, linking it up using the linky widget so that everyone can see what you learned. I realized mid-week, that I really didn't give you enough time, with just one week, for you to both figure out your style, come up with an outfit, and blog post about it! SO, that means, that I am extending the link-up to the 14th! And that also means, if you link up your outfit this week, or send me an email with a picture and description, as I explained in this post, you will be featured on the SUCCESS! finale post of the Finding Your Style series! Sound fun? Well than, you can find the linky at the bottom of this post.
FYS-collage1
IMG_9621
FYS-collage2
IMG_9662
I thought, however, that you all might like to see the outfit that I came up with last week for the challenge, to give you all a bit of encouragement with your outfit posts.

After looking over my style board, I decided that my style was boho, english country, girly, and vintage all wrapped into one. SO, with that in mind, I decided to wear a somewhat drapy top, gold hoop earrings, and a silver ring (besides my purity ring) for the boho element; A sweater and oxfords, for a bit of Vintage & English Country; and my knit half circle skirt for comfort :).
I have figured out that my wardrobe does need some new pieces to bring it up to date with what I like, since most of it was bought two or three years ago, when I was still deciding what I really liked to wear, and my style has developed a lot since then.

I hope you all enjoyed seeing what I wore for the challenge, and I CAN'T WAIT to see what you all wore. Be sure to link up your outfit below! The linky will close on the 14th, so you'd better hurry quick if you want to participate in the Party next week!

What else can you think of that will bring you 
closer to a wardrobe that fits your style, and is cost-effective?
Does your wardrobe fit your style currently?
Are you going to link up your outfit? PLEASE DO!!!

I want to say one more thing before I sign off. With thinking about updating your wardrobe, remember, DON'T COVET! Yes, you might think that so and so has the perfect wardrobe, and "Oh! How lovely it would be to be in her shoes!" But is that wrong thinking? Are you coveting? Be content with what you have. Your wardrobe can wait. Obeying God can't. Remember, the whole purpose of this series is to help us find our style so we don't constantly have to be worrying about what we will wear, and how we look.

Blessings,

Brigid
The Middle Sister and Singer

P.S. Did I say something about a party? Oh, yes, yes I did! Link up your outfit if you want to be in it, or email me with a photo and all the details at: boyerfamilysingers(at)gmail(dot)com. See you at the Castle of Success!

4 comments:

  1. GREAT job! I think that I will be linking up what I wore to church this Sunday! Could you tell me were you got your shoes from ? I have really been wanting to add a pair of those dearies to my wardrobe! I would just love it if I could find some at a thrift store!
    Thanks!
    ~Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I got my oxfords at DSW shoe store, since we had a $20 off coupon (they were originally $60, yikes!). Normally I try not to spend so much on shoes, but I thought it was worth it for a pair of 100% leather shoes that I could wear pretty much 3 out of 4 seasons.
      Each of us girls have been able to find wonderful shoes at the thrift store, some of them even being 100% leather (I have a pet peeve against faux leather). I hope you can find some that you like!

      Blessings,
      Brigid The Middle Sister and Singer

      P.S. I responded to your other comment on the Flower Parlor post BTW.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I know what you mean about 'leather'. ahah :)
      ~Cassie

      Delete
  2. This was well-thought-out, and well-written - they're things I've learnt myself, but I'm not sure I could put it so succinctly!
    Another option, better for those who sew, is refashioning - reshape that shapeless garment, add a new fabric to something to bring it up to date with your current measurements or style... It has to be done very carefully, but it's another option to shop in your wardrobe (or the thrift store).
    A cousin of mine also used to organise clothes swaps, in spring and in autumn - everyone brought clothes they wanted to get rid of, then you could browse the clothes, pick what you liked, the rest went to charity. Some of my best pieces come from there. It was also a nice way to meet my cousin, whom I would not see much of otherwise, since she lives in Prague and I don't. :-)

    Re: shoes - I personally think comfortable leather shoes that you can get a lot of wear out of are definitely worth a higher sum, probably more than anything else in your wardrobe. Seeing that your feet also get the most wear!

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!