
Hello dearies! How has your week been thus far? I have accomplished a lot more than I thought I would in the past two days, including some prepping for an exciting blog event that will hopefully show up sometime in December... But today I have a few tips for all you seamstresses out there regarding patterns!
Today I'm going to share with you four basic pattern styles that I think every seamstress, whether vintage or otherwise inspired, should have in their stash.

1. Basic Suit or Ensemble: While I have yet to make a whole suit, the above pattern is the closest I've come. The wonderful thing about having a suit pattern in your stash is that there are SO many possibilities of what you could make! You could make just a skirt (or trousers if the pattern is for a pants suit), or a contrasting skirt and jacket, or the classic matching suit! You could even combine the jacket from one pattern with the skirt from another. The possibilities are endless! As for Simplicity 3695, shown above, I've made the weskit (vest for all you newbies to the vintage world. ;D) 3 times. One in flannel, one in twill, and one in a plaid with the matching skirt. I really need to get this pattern back out and make another matching skirt and weskit. Don't you think a fine wale corduroy would look nice?

2. Basic Tee or Top: Now, I know not all of you are keen on the idea of sewing with knits, but trust me, it's easier than you think! You can find a lovely basic tee pattern, made by Jennifer Lauren Vintage, as well as a sew-along for said tee here. But, if you're a blouse wearing kind of girl, a blouse pattern would fit well in this category instead of a t-shirt pattern. I only include a t-shirt here because that's what I wear most often, and if you have the ability to make your own t-shirts, why buy them store-bought? Same with blouses. That's what I love about making my own clothes. I don't have to stick with the fit and styles the store has, and I can copy my favorite t-shirt to make over and over again.

3. Basic Skirt: This could be a pencil skirt, a ruffle skirt, a knit maxi skirt, or, as in my case, a 1/2 or full circle skirt. The thing with basic patterns is it has to be a silhouette that suits you, and a pattern that is easy to make. That way you can make it over and over again, and it becomes a part of your signature style. That's why it's called a basic pattern, because it's a basic piece in your wardrobe. The cake, rather than the frosting that is special occasion dresses, if you will. Speaking of dresses...

4. Basic Dress: This could be the easiest or hardest pattern to find, depending on your taste. But a good dress pattern that can be made in a fancy or casual fabric is a must to have in your stash if you wear dresses and skirts on a daily basis. Sense & Sensibility's 1958 Party Dress is a very good example of a basic dress pattern. It is easy to make up, can be made floor or knee length, in a day or evening style. You could even modify the pattern and pair the bodice with your basic skirt pattern as I did in my 1958 Buffalo Plaid Knit Dress. That's the other lovely thing about basic patterns. They can be mixed and matched, with a few tweaks here and there, as long as they are along the same style lines, and will fit well together. Couldn't you see the bodice of the 1958 Party Dress pattern paired with a pencil or peg skirt?
What basic patterns do you have in your stash?
Any must-have basic patterns you would add to the list here?
Which would you rather sew, a blouse or a t-shirt?
Which would you rather wear?
Blessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
CREDITS // Author: Brigid Boyer; Photography: Charlotte Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Presets
Wow, really useful post Brigid! I really need to build up my basic pattern collection! Or, I should probably say *start* a basic pattern collection! I have a couple of dress and skirt patterns, but they aren't very versatile. I am hoping to get the Sense and Sensibility 50's dress pattern for Christmas. Oh, and I LOVE the weskit suit pattern you have! I would definitely prefer to make a t-shirt to a blouse and I don't know which one I'd prefer wearing. Maybe the t, but it kind of depends on what mood I'm in. :)
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Nuala
Thank you, Brigid! I'm really thankful for Marie-Madeline Studio's patterns - some of my top favorite patterns are from their business. :) Blessings!
ReplyDeleteMarie-Madeline Studio's patterns are indeed lovely! We bought a jumper/sundress pattern they used to carry, and it was one of my favorite clothing items to wear until the zipper finally busted on me.
DeleteBlessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
Oh my! What a nice post! I am not a basic, work-horse clothing-item kind of girl, sadly ;) I should be, but my sewing style has always been just grab a pattern, start sewing, and see what happens :) Anyway, that has worked for me. I've started to figure out my style, what I'll wear, and what I won't wear. My wardrobe consists of vintage house dresses for every day (made from pretty much any vintage pattern I find and like...I'm lucky to have a mom that's been keeping an eye out for vintage patterns since *she* was a teenager!), 1 or 2 Sunday-quality dresses, solid, (bottom-weight mostly) skirts for every day and church.... Those are the homemade things. Then I have a couple pair of jeans, one fabulous pair found from H&M that is red, sweaters (one homemade by me!), and t-shirts/blouses.
ReplyDeleteI am bad about not making blouses. I really should. My complaint about vintage blouse patterns is the lack of length. They always amaze me at how short they are!
Anyway, those are my sewing thoughts. I loved reading this post! Oh, and that's a darling pin cushion. Did you make it?
CGrace,
DeleteI haven't been a basic, work-horse clothing-item kind of girl either until the past year, when I finally discovered the silhouettes that I like.
Vintage house dresses for everyday? Oh, I envy you! And to have a vintage pattern stash that stretches back so far... :)
The pin-cushion is actually Charlotte's, and yes she made it. Mine is sadly disintegrating (it's made from felt), so I need to make myself a new, camera worthy one. ;)
Blessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
Hi Brigid! I'm racking my brain, trying to think of a pattern to add to your list, but alas, I do believe you have covered them! Wonderful post to be sure! I think that drafting up a T-shirt pattern needs to be one of my Winter projects!
ReplyDeleteCharlotte- the color in these photos is so nicely done! I'm loving them! :)
love always,
Cassie
the elder sister
Oh Cassie, if you need any help drafting a T-shirt pattern, I have a few pins on the subject on my Pattern Drafting board on Pinterest:http://www.pinterest.com/brigidboyer/pattern-drafting/
DeleteBlessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
I make my own patterns most of the time... or adapt them heavily. What I'd add - for people drawn that way - is also a good basic trouser pattern that - and this is most important - fits you well in waist, hips and the crotch area. The width or length of the legs can be easily altered, but you need it to fit you at the crucial points, because otherwise trousers can be most uncomfortable and unflattering! (Relying on stretch fabrics there you want to avoid, too.)
ReplyDeleteMy basic skirt shape is A-line; that's another one you overlooked a bit, but otherwise I agree with your list wholeheartedly. Just like with trousers, you want one that fits well in waist / hips and the rest can be played with. You can attach a skirt pattern to a blouse pattern and make a dress. Or lengthen a blouse pattern for a dress.
I completely agree with you Hana on the need for a well-fitting basic trouser pattern, as well as a good a-line skirt. I didn't mean for this post to be all encompassing, but rather a means for discussion and inspiration.
DeleteBlessings,
Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer
It's definitely worked that way! It got me thinking I'd like to do a post about my own "basic" patterns one day. I've wanted to share some of my patterns as downloadable e-patterns; even if they're obviously very figure-specific, they could still be helpful for someone (because seeing how much trouble I had finding well-fitting trousers myself, I'm sure ladies with a similar figure have the exact same problems).
DeleteDoing it as a "basic patterns" post (or series of posts), with ideas on how they can be used in different ways, is more or less perfect. It won't happen soon, but I think it will happen. :-)
I know that this is practically the fifth time I've suggested posts (I'll try to keep it down, I just love that there's a blog with three girls so like-minded to me) but it would be really cool if you did a bedroom series. I'm redoing my bedroom now so I'm interested to see what other vintage loving gals my age have done to theirs.
ReplyDeleteThanks, and God Bless!