![]() |
| I look quite odd here don't I? What a goof! |
Do you all remember my Summer Sewing Plans post awhile back? And how I said that I was planning on making 3 t-shirts? Well, I did! But not from the pattern I had originally planned on using. Oh, and in that post I neglected to show my black knit that I had as well. Whoops!
Anyways, do you all want to see the finished products, and find out all the little, easy-peasy details?
Here you go!
Black Tee
This tee and the printed tee are both made from the flutterby pattern hack of the Blank Canvas Tee.
Burgundy Tee
This tee, as you can see above in one of the pictures is a knock off (and my own pattern hack!! Woot, woot!) of the Aimee Twist knit tee from Garnet Hill.
Printed Tee
This Tee, as I said before is also the flutterby pattern hack of the blank canvas tee, and as you can see, I made a matching turban headband! I also added a slouchy pocket down at the hem for fun.
Just the Facts:
Fabric: Black T-shirt: 1 yard of Matte Black Solid Cotton Jersey knit fabric = $6.00
Burgundy T-shirt: 1 yard of Burgundy Red Heather Solid Cotton Jersey Blend knit fabric = $5.50
Printed T-shirt: 1 yard of "Shabby Chic Shelves" Cotton Jersey knit fabric = $5.00
All knit purchased from Girl Charlee fabrics
Pattern: All versions are pattern hacks of the Blank Canvas Tee, kindly made free by Steph of 3 hours past.
Year: 2013!
Notions: Thread-Stash=? // Interfacing for shoulders-stash= $0.25 // Thread for Serging-Stash= ?
The Inside Details: The necklines of both of the angel wing tees are bound in self knit fabric, and the hems of the sleeves are finished with a rolled hem done on the serger. The neckline of the Aimee twist knit knock-off top, is lined from the shoulders down to the bustline seam. Shoulders of the Twist knit top are interfaced with fusible interfacing. All hems turned up once, stitched, and trimmed. All seams serged.
Hours: Including the time to do the pattern hacks, about 1 and a half hours each.
First Worn: The moment I finished each of the t-shirts!
Wear again? YES! If I can keep my Printed T-shirt from shrinking (more on that at the bottom), and now that I made a modesty panel to wear with my Twist knit top!
Make again? Um, yes! Though I'll probably do different hacks of the blank canvas pattern, along with the ones I did here, and add a modesty panel sewn into the Twist knit top.
Total Cost: An average of about $6.50 per t-shirt. Yippee! I would've paid $34.00 for the Aimee twist knit top that I knocked-off at Garnet Hill!
Frosting or Cake? Cake! Cake! Cake!
So, what's the whole "keep from shrinking" thing that I mentioned above? Well, I forgot to pre-shrink all the knit before I made the t-shirts. NOT GOOD! Thankfully both the Twist knit top, and the black top came out fine, with minimal shrinkage, but the Printed top.... ummm... It almost went in the trash. When Mom pulled it out of the washer the first time it got washed, It looked like a crop top! It's width had remained the same, but the length had shortened SO MUCH! I cried. Yep, I actually cried over a t-shirt. Well, thankfully I had pinned this link to how to un-shrink clothing, and after using said tutorial I had my t-shirt back to normal again! Phew! No more machine washing for that frangible Tee! Hand-washing here I come.
What do you think of my new t-shirts?
Which one's your favorite?
What have you made lately?
Shrunk anything lately? ;)
Blessings on your day!
Brigid
The Middle Sister and Singer





.jpg)


.jpg)










Oh my goodness, I LOVE these shirts!! Especially the third, I'm a sucker for cute prints and something about that one has a hint of vintage'ness that I love! :)
ReplyDeleteWww.Modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com
Love the twisted top!! So cute!
ReplyDeleteLove the printed one!
ReplyDeleteOh so pretty! My favorite is the printed one. So cute!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute, all 3 tees! Love the matching turban. And thanks for the link to unshrinking!! Best tip ever.
ReplyDeleteNice! Cute, t-shirts are so hard to find!
ReplyDeleteThey all turned out so lovely, great job! And I love the fit of them, especially the nice shape of all the sleeves, how they are flared out. The fabric looks so comfy too.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! I am trying to get back into sewing, so it was neat to see your creations and be encouraged :)
Blessings to you!
~Jazzmin♥
Very nice! I really like each one for different reasons....the simpleness of the black, the cute pocket of the printed, the elegance of the twist! I also have been wanting to make more shirts since I usually make skirts.....so I made one (here is an idea for you) out of a pink see threw lace and made two small roses and sewed them on the neck line I really like how it turned out! Will have to make some more of them! thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete~ Cassie
These are nice tops!
ReplyDeleteJess
Brigid! They're adorable! :) I especially love how you were able to copy that twist top from a photo. Makes me want to make a few of my own from that pattern.... :D
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
Alicia Joy