May 22, 2014

Outfit // Trendy to a T

Outfit // Trendy to the T
Cheerio dearies! I am SO excited to share this outfit with you all today, because it's an outfit that was rather out of my comfort zone, but I ended up loving it! Do you all want to see?

Outfit // Trendy to the T
Before we get on to the outfit however, can I exclaim at how wonderful it is that our Strawberries are ripe?!? We gathered four of them for props for the photo-shoot, and boy did they look delicious. I couldn't help snacking on one... or two... or three, after we had gotten the photos of course!. ;D
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Outfit // Trendy to the T
This outfit was SO comfy! But why, you ask, was it out of my comfort zone? Take a look!
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Notice anything? Probably not, but I'll tell you. There are two things here: 1: I do not have any waist definition, something that I normally like in my outfits, and I don't normally feel comfortable without because I don't think it looks that great on me. 2: I'm wearing a knit full length maxi skirt! I don't normally like such skirts because sometimes, umm... they can give a bit too much definition to the hip area, and can also be clingy, which keeps me extremely self conscious, so I have never bought one, until now!
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Top: Me-made // Skirt: Thrifted // Shoes: Saltwater Sandals via Modcloth // Tank-Top: Gap
Outfit // Trendy to the T
So, why did this outfit work then? First of all the skirt was not clingy (thank goodness, or I never would have bought it) and the multi-directional stripes added an element of dimension, eliminating the need for me to have any waist definition. Also, the top was lightweight enough, and ever so slightly clingy enough, even though it's on the looser side, that I didn't look like a shapeless tube (excuse the example. It was the only thing I could think of! :P). So, now that I've actually tried out a knit maxi skirt, I can see why everyone loves them! They are SOOO comfy and pretty, though not the coolest things to wear in the summer heat. I think I may just have to make myself a few more... after I get to all my other summer projects of course!
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Outfit // Trendy to the T
Before I sign off, I have to put in a word about how awesome these Saltwater Sandals are! I was searching for some nice leather* sandals for summer that were casual enough to wear everyday, but still looked a little bit dressed up (I hate wearing flip-flops. They give me the most AWFUL blisters!). So, as I was searching on Modcloth one day, I came across these beauties! I was debating on whether or not I should get a neutral pair (something I try to do with most of my shoes because they usually pair better with lots of different colors) or the red ones that I was positively dying for. As you can see, I ended up getting the red ones after Mom and the girls convinced me that red would go with practically anything in my wardrobe. And it does! These sandals are SOOO comfortable (I've used that phrase a lot in this post, haven't I?), I know I will be wearing them practically everyday this summer. And I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a pair of leather sandals for the summer.

Have you worn anything out of your comfort zone recently?
Did you like my outfit?
Have you ever tried Saltwater Sandals?
What's one key thing you like to have in your outfits (such as waist definition)?
Leather or Faux Leather?

Blessings,

Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer

*You all might know by now, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to natural fibers and materials, so I don't buy faux leather if I can help it. Leather usually lasts longer (with the proper care), and I just feel better about buying it. Ya, I'm a bit weird that way. :P

P.S. Don't forget to enter our Lilla Rose Bobby-pin giveaway if you haven't already!

17 comments:

  1. I have a skirt super similar to that and I almost wore it yesterday, but alas, it was wrinkled! :( I too normally go after waist definition but there's nothing more comfortable than a knit maxi skirt! :)

    LOVE that top! I love how it brings a bit of the vintage flair with the print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this outfit! That maxi skirt is super cute and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your red sandals! I've been contemplating on buying those same sandals from Modcloth. But maybe in navy? I think you might have convinced me! Merry from eachlittlebird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The outfit looks really great on you! And the sandals are wonderful. I just bought a pair of white ones (from Amazon, where they can be a bit cheaper in price), and I absolutely love them! I had so many pairs when I was young (I still have a teeny tiny baby pair), and it is wonderful to be wearing them again.
    Also, how do you edit your photos? You girls always have such pretty photos. :)
    xo Rachelle // Beloved Bluebird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachelle!

      Thanks for commenting :) I edit our photos in Adobe Camera Raw, and use VSCO presets.

      Have a lovely day,

      -Charlotte
      the blog designer + photographer

      Delete
  5. I love this post, Brigid! And I absolutely understand about wanting waist-definition. I almost *never* wear something that doesn't have waist definition! To do so would be stepping outside my comfort zone too. (Hmmm. I just realized that I am wearing something that doesn't have strict waist definition as I type--however, the shape of the blouse is flattering enough that it almost defines the waist, so...)

    This outfit looks lovely and breezy...and I love your sandals. I may consider getting some myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this look-Charlotte? I think I got your name right! ;)
    If not, forgive me!
    I'll definintely be checking into those sandals!
    I've been looking for just that type of sandal myself!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice outfit Brigid! I do love the shirts you made,and that dandelion pic is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The monochromatic color scheme with the hint of red is really lovely. I especially like your top. I read your post where you explained that you had purchased the fabrics from GirlCharlee, and I really like the look of their knit fabrics, but I am scared to buy it online without holding it in my hand. =/

    Do you mind if I ask... was it 100% cotton or cotton jersey or rayon jersey... And have you had any problems with pilling or the fabric wearing into holes?

    Sorry for all the questions. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, ha. I just went back and read the post and you explained the fabric content. I'm so sorry. I should have read before I asked. =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, waist definition... Once I discovered I did have a waist which not everyone does... I can see where you're coming from. I do have a knit skirt but it, too, has a waist definition - it's a gored skirt with a yoke! :D
    It's definitely a daring look among your other looks, but I like the result. The flutter sleeves are lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love that knit skirt! So pretty. Also, I would prefer real leather as well! It lasts so much longer and is so much more worth the money. (Although it is pretty spendy. . . .)

    charmant

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your outfit, Brigid! I would prefer to wear real leather shoes but as I shop on a budget I have mostly faux leather. Love your bright red sandals; do you have any good recommendations for some real leather boots that would be stylish but practical in cold weather? I would be willing to pay more for a pair of boots that would last. I've had leather boots on my "wish list" for a very long time; would appreciate any help! :)
    ~Sarah~
    http://allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I am in the same predicament as you, and am actually planning on looking into buying myself some leather boots with the same "requirements" as you are looking for this winter. Maybe I'll blog about them "if" I get some. :)

      Brigid
      the Middle Sister and Singer

      Delete
  13. OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is probably my favorite outfit you have worn on here, and I love every part of it! I'm one that doesn't dress vintage, so this perfectly suited my style. I can see why you might have been uncomfortable with it because it is not something you would normally wear, but you look great!
    keepcalmandsparkle1099.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorbs! Love the skirt-you pulled it off so well! :) I'm not very good at dressing out of my comfort zone :P
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy your comments so much! But please, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain from expressing it on our blog.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!